Thursday, December 10, 2015

I Was There (2015) Review


I Was There is a short about one mans strange encounter that put his suicidal plans on hold.

Michael Voight plays Charlie, a man whom is at the end of his chosen journey in life, until he finds a mysterious box under an overpass, the contents of which can not be explained. Charlie decides to continue his journey in life and we see him progress throughout the years, happily and content.

There are some major issues that I as a viewer had while watching the short. The major one was that I had to go back and read the description of the film to figure out what it was about. The acting is great, the chosen locations, beautiful. Where the film stumbles is in it's narrative, or lack there of.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of film that doesn't hand feed you the plot with a rubber tipped spoon, but even this one left me scratching my head in bewilderment after the first view.

Does this mean that it is a bad film that you should steer clear of? Absolutely not! In fact, now that you know the plot, watching it will free you up to enjoy the amazing acting, gorgeous locations, as well as the artistic design of the mysterious box and the creature within.

I Was There is a beautifully captured emotionally artistic journey for the viewer that any fan of film should dive into without hesitation. Not only is it a master silent class on acting, but it also has some great cinematography lessons to teach us as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment